HomeAbout Me and these RocksPolished RocksRocks Paper Scissors

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

When It's Hard to See: A Lamp

Sometimes, the road you are traveling becomes unclear.
For any number of various reasons, the road suddenly no longer lies clearly before you. It may have started smooth and straight under sunny skies. You began the journey with a light backpack, new white tennis shoes, a confident smile, and your future steps seemed clearly before you. Or maybe the road on which you started your journey was rugged and uphill under skies that were overcast, but you set your jaw and lifted your load and saw clearly the steps your muddy hiking boots would be treading. But whatever the beginning, somewhere now down the road, what was once so certain is now no longer so. Maybe somewhere along the way you misread the signs. Or miscalculated the miles. Or maybe you took a shortcut. Or the scenic route. Maybe you tarried too long in a place you should have been moving quickly through. Maybe you jogged on by when you should have slowed and appreciated the view. And now you're here, wherever that is, and you feel you need to be well on your way to somewhere else. But where? And even if you new for certain where "where" was, the way to your destination is foggy and uncertain.

I know that place. In the 40+ years I've been traveling on planet earth, I've been on many roads. Parts of the journey were planned and well prepared for and there was much happiness on the way. Other times there have been unforseen hard turns to the left that sent me falling down a sharp cliff and left me bruised and hurting.  I have known both joy and heartache. Times of confidence and seasons of doubt. It would also be true to say that these moments on the road are not always synonymous with preparation or negligence.  I have known love and grace when I have made wrong turns. And I have known pain on journeys I thought I was well prepared to take.

I'm still traveling. I am certain to have moments, days, even seasons ahead where the way may be unclear.

But this I know: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

Whichever road your next steps find you on, the lamp of His word shines forth these for sure-footing:

God knows where you are:
Psalm 139:1-4, 7   "O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord...Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?"

You are not alone:
Hebrews 13:5   "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

You are loved regardless of where you are:
Psalm 130: 7  "...for with the Lord is unfailing love..."

You are heard:
Psalm 34:17   "The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;"

And when you are trusting in Him, you can know this:
Romans 8:28  "And we know that in all things God works to the good of those who love him "


May you find in these words a peace and confidence,  even on a road that is uncertain. 

No comments: