HomeAbout Me and these RocksPolished RocksRocks Paper Scissors

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Resolution for the New Year

 Almost everywhere I read is the encouragement for this year to "be the year" when those resolutions are finally realized. Some of it really is encouraging, and some of it just ... makes me tired. My resolutions are shaping up to be somewhat of the same- ol'- same- ol'.  I guess I'm not very "resolute".   I sat down to ponder whether I should give myself another "do over" year, or make a whole new list altogether, or maybe just forget the whole thing. In my head I kept hearing, "failure to plan is planning to fail". I'm not the greatest of planners. Maybe that really is the reason for all these failed resolutions??

So, there was that blank piece of scratch paper there on the counter before me. On the 2nd of January, 2012. Did I say that I'm not very good at planning? I could see the list clearly, although to anyone else happening by, it was just a blank piece of paper. How many years has the list been this? Maybe not always in this order of priority, but always the same: Lose weight, eat healthier, start/ keep up on my journal, memorize scripture, get my scrapbooks going, pray more, plan a better school year, be more intentional with my time and relationships, write more letters. I didn't need to write it down. It really is still the same list, and somehow writing it down again seemed to be so disappointing. So, I didn't.

I sat back in my chair and saw in front of me Morning by Morning, a daily devotional by Charles H. Spurgeon. I picked it up and turned to this day, January 2nd, and this is a portion of what was printed on the page:
"...Prayer is the lisping of the believing infant, the shout of the fighting believer, the requiem of the dying saint falling asleep in Christ.  It is the breath, the watchword, the comfort, the strength, the honor of a Christian. If you are a child of God, you will seek your Father's face, and live for your Father's love. Pray that this year may be holy, humble, zealous, and patient; have closer communion with Christ, and enter oftener into the banqueting-house of His love. Pray that you may be an example and a blessing unto others, and that you may live more to the glory of your Master.  The motto for this year must be: 'Devote yourself to prayer'."

And there it was. The motto for this year. My only real new year's resolution.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18: Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

My pen and paper list of resolutions for the year would be the same as they've been. But the resolution of my heart is to become a pray-er. Pray more often than I do. Pray more specifically. Pray with more confidence and belief. Pray with thanksgiving in all circumstances. Pray that I will "be an example and a blessing unto others...(and)live more to the glory of my Master".

For this is God's will for us in Christ Jesus!

And I wonder about how that would change the outcome of my would-be goals? Would they finally become realized? Would they be suddenly less-important in the scheme of things? My heart would certainly be healthier. The "weight of this world" would certainly be lighter. Maybe I would have greater success in planning? More time? Closer relationships?

Yes, I will devote myself to prayer. A resolution of the heart.



And because I couldn't be this long without a post and pictures, following are some frames of our days-a photo essay of these past weeks.  :o)








Happy New Year!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! Thank you!!!

Ernie said...

Non written resolutions seem to me to be more useful, in that we plant them in our mind and heart and don't need a note to remind us.

Anonymous said...

Love this inspiring post.