HomeAbout Me and these RocksPolished RocksRocks Paper Scissors

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Joshua and His Courage

Joshua. It is the name his dad wanted for him, chosen because of the example of the man Joshua in the Bible. The Joshua who believed when the majority didn't. The Joshua who fought battles and won when he should have lost. The Joshua who upheld a promise given to a prostitute. The Joshua who carried out justice to a greedy deceiver before all of Israel. Tough stuff. And all throughout his story, God says, "Do not be afraid. Be strong and courageous. I am with you." I haven't counted how many times He speaks these words to Joshua, but it's a lot. Enough to make me think that maybe Joshua was very often afraid and needed the encouragement and assurance of a God who said He would be with him. I read somewhere that courage is fear that has said its prayers.

The Joshua in our house spends most of his spare time reading up on military aircraft. He checks out books from the library and copies information into notebooks. He photocopies pictures. He draws and creates airplanes and war scenes. He reads about men of courage. He learns fighting techniques and self-defense and just became a junior black belt in Tae Kwon Do.  This same boy asked for an electronic pocket Bible for Christmas. He knows Joshua's story. And now something of courage.

I looked out the living room window and saw Joshua and Samuel playing in the snow about 2/3 the way down the driveway. They had gone together to get the mail. I saw Gilbert the Basset sniffing around on the road near the mailbox. The mail must not have gone yet I thought. I watched for a bit and then went downstairs. A bit later I heard Samuel come in. Crying. Surely tears of a snowball scuffle. I didn't hurry up the stairs.

He stood at the back door in tears. "What's the matter?" I asked. "Are your hands cold? Did you have a snowball fight?"

"Gilbert got runned over!"

oh no. "Are you sure? Is he still alive?"

"Josh stayed down there with him!"

I rushed to the spare bedroom closet to grab a blanket. Sam followed as I hurried to the garage. "Where's the sled?" Sam stood on the step not answering. "Where's the sled!"

I heard Josh come into the garage. He said he came back because he thought Sam was taking too long and would I hurry up because Gilbert got run over, but he was sure he was going to be okay because he was moving and trying to get off the road. He showed me to the sled and we took off running down the driveway with Samuel behind us. As we ran, Josh kept on talking, telling me that he called to Gilbert and he was sure the driver in the pickup must have seen him, but it was going to be okay because it looked like just his leg was broken. I was barely listening as I was looking hard toward the end of the driveway and searching for Gilbert.

When I saw him, I knew.
oh please, God.

I instructed the boys to stay back. I knew a dog in pain would be prone to fight even someone who was trying to save him. I spread the blanket in the sled and tried to gather him into it. He resisted, trying to pull himself away from me. As I was gently but firmly encouraging and moving Gilbert toward the sled, all I could hear was Joshua behind me:

Come on God, you can do this! I believe in miracles, God! You can save him! Come on God! I know you can do this! God I believe in you! Come on Gilbert! Come on God!

Please God, hear our prayers. Help me God.

Come on Gilbert! Be strong! Come on God! I know you  can do this!

Gilbert gave and I eased his broken body onto the sled. I couldn't bear the thought of pulling him over the rough frozen gravel the distance back up the driveway. I looked behind me and Joshua was kneeling on the road and Samuel was standing soberly beside him.

Josh and I carried the sled as quickly and as carefully as we could. All the while, Josh saying Gilbert's gonna be okay cuz it looks like just his legs are broken and me saying I hope so and we'll do all we can. When we got to the garage I was faced with how to get everyone in our little Honda Civic. I pulled Sam's carseat out and we slid Gilbert in the blue plastic sled onto the back seat.

Please God, your strong arm of protection over our vehicle.

The boys buckled in together in the front seat. We barely turned out of the driveway when we had to stop already. Gilbert was trying to pull himself out of the sled. Joshua jumped out and crawled into the back, squeezing himself between the front passenger seat and the back seat. He put his arm around Gilbert and told him to stay boy. I told Joshua to keep talking softly to him, but not to pet his back or get too close to his face. Gilbert strained toward the door and turned his face away from all of us.

Samuel sat by himself, small in the front seat, looking out the window. He didn't answer me when I asked him if he was okay. Just shook his head. I held his hand and drove.

Joshua continued to talk it all out. Talking to Gilbert. Talking to God. Talking to me. Everything was going to be good. And then, over and over, he was quoting Joshua 1:9 "...Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified. Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Oh.  I knew he was fighting for Gilbert. I joined him silently and fought the tears that were jammed up behind the lump in my throat. Please God. Help me be strong for him.

Be strong. God is with you Gilbert. Come on God. I believe in you God. I just know God is gonna do a miracle, Mom. Don't you?

I sure did hope so.

Somehow, in all those minutes that ticked by, I managed to make a call and let Hubby know what was going on. He was on his way home from an inspection and pulled into the vet clinic just moments after we did.

The boys sat bravely in chairs next to the wall while the lady behind the desk asked me questions.

It was only a few short minutes before the veterinarian came out and wanted to talk with us. There was nothing to be done. She told us we were all welcome to go back and say our 'good-byes'. We did. It was hard.

 As we were leaving, Joshua, his courage firm while his chin trembled and the tears splashed out, stood a distance from the table where Gilbert was and said good-bye the way our son Joshua would say good-bye:  He gave him a military salute.

And we saw our Joshua. And we saw courage.



linking up today at MOB Society.  Love those Boys!

7 comments:

Lil Eskimo said...

sweet boy. i was fighting tears as i read. what a hard day for all of you. what neat evidence of how God is growing your joshua to be a strong man of Him who runs to the Fortress when trouble comes!

Mystic_Mom said...

After I wiped away the tears I realized how much Godly courage your sharing revealed. Not only in your sons but also in you. Amazing, heartbreaking and so full of love. It's a hard thing to do, let the broken ones return to God, and it is hard to let the boys grow into men. God bless you and your family.

Unknown said...

Awww, my prayers are with you and your boys as you grieve the loss of Gilbert. May God continue to whisper His encouragement and develop Joshua into a mighty man of God.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. Crying. You've done a wonderful job raising your Joshua.

Hugs to you and your family on your loss.

mommy to many said...

awww! man fighting back tears as i picture your guys crying out to God for their dog! i know it doesn't make it any easier but you have done an awesome job mom and dad teaching your children that GOd cares. and it's okay to cry out to God for help no matter what the situation! praying first of all for protection of you little ones hearts that they won't become angry because GOd didn't answer the way they wanted. Praying for wisdom for you as parents as you walk down this road of grieving. give them all a hug and let them know there are 4 little Hoffman kids praying for them.

Ang said...

Sweet, courageous Joshua! It is tough when God doesn't answer in the way we'd hoped. I prayed for your boys this afternoon and asked that their faith would be strengthened somehow through this experience and that they would not be discouraged.

Diane said...

Oh my. I am sure this was a difficult blog to pen. I can really-actually hear Josh saying the words you wrote on this page.
I "love those Boys" too! I also love you ......mom