HomeAbout Me and these RocksPolished RocksRocks Paper Scissors

Friday, August 17, 2012

Pinch Me

You've heard it said when something seems too good to be true...
This is Sam.


Sam-I-Am.


That's what I call him.

And now he's five.
Already.

My Little-Hunter-Man-Samuel.

 He makes me smile.

Samuel was not always a part of our family plan. He came to us as a surprise package.  :o) 
I was just 40 and, well, being pregnant right then wasn't even on my radar.
But he was an answered prayer.
After Joshua, I really wanted to have more children. I didn't want Josh to be a lonely "caboose". I prayed hard for more, but, long story short is that the answer was "no". At least that's what I thought.

When the + sign that says "yes" appeared, our family life was a bit frayed. We were letting go of a lot of things.  But Samuel came, and he was something to hold on to. And I held him a lot. He was one of those babies that needed to be held all the time. And I was one of those mamas needing something to hold onto. So we held on to each other. I held him and he held me. Literally.
(Funny how right now as I am plucking out this little story, I hear Samuel singing as he goes down the stairs: "Our God is an awesome God, He reigns from Heaven above, with wisdom, power, and might. Our God is an awesome God" . How fitting.)

I would hold this little snuggle-bundle and while he was little and nursing, he would find my skin and roll it between his tiny chubby fingers. And squeeze. And pinch. And roll some more. Always holding on.
When we were not nursing anymore, he found my neck. His little hands would reach up and squeeze the skin on my neck. Roll and pinch.

And now, my little man, my Sam-I-Am, is five.
F I V E.
He's the present. He's the gift.
And I think he's too good to be true!!
And guess what? I don't even have to say "Pinch me", because he still does.
He brushes my hair away from my neck and finds me. Holds me.
Such a reminder every day of God's goodness. His faithfulness. His sovereignty.

So I will say it.
Pinch me.
So good and so true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing he is!!! I could scoop him up and keep him as my own!! He may not be happy about that though!!! :O) You have been blessed...and in that we get to share your blessing!! So glad that God wasn't done with you yet!!! Although...I am sure God was thankful that I chose to get a dog!! hehe I love you Samuel Everett!!! Heidi Jo

Tina said...

Yes--"ain't he somethin'??" So nice to see you over the weekend. And Hercules is special, too. :o) Have a beauty full week!